Bucks County Council leader Martin Tett has made an ‘unreserved apology’ after the authority’s schools website crashed.
The website failed at around 6am today (Monday), the second time in a month it has gone down on the same day Bucks has experienced heavy snowfall.
Councillor Martin Tett said it was ‘unacceptable’ for such a key service to fail at a time parents need it the most.
The website provides information on Bucks schools, including closures.
Mr Tett said: “It must be so frustrating to take your children to school and then find out it’s closed.
“It impacts on people’s work, their childcare responsibilities, it takes time out of their day and parents may lose income.
“I would like to issue an unreserved apology to all the parents in Buckinghamshire who have been affected by this issue.”
Last time the website crashed it was due to the large number of people visiting it and Mr Tett has asked the council’s chief executive to look into the problem ‘as a matter of urgency’.
He said: “Crashing because of the sheer volume is not good enough. We need to have the resilience to handle that.
“The whole point of a website is that people can use it. If it can’t cope then it’s not fit for purpose.”
Lee Common Church of England School in Great Missenden closed due to today’s weather, while Aylesbury’s Mandeville School was partially closed because of a broken boiler.
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Updated: Police seek key witness after motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Long Crendon
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Cox: BBC should do more to educate
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Plans for homes and park and ride at Weedon Hill rejected by district council
- White hot Ellen fires Gunners in FA Cup thumping
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 26 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 3 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North