Firefighters rushed to a nursing home in the early hours of the morning after a fire broke out in a bedroom.
The blaze started in a ground-floor bedroom when a resident at Hulcott Nursing Home got up and left the room. As she did so her blanket fell on an electric heater at the foot of her bed and caught fire.
Three fire crews were sent to the scene at 4.47am this morning but the blaze did not spread outside the bedroom. As a result there was no need to evacuate residents and no one needed treatment for injuries.
There were about 40 people in the two-storey building when the fire broke out. Most of the residents were able to stay in their rooms, avoiding the risk of coming into contact with the smoke while firefighters dealt with the fire.
Firefighters put out the blaze using a hose reel and a dry powder extinguisher.
Crew manager Mark Nursey said: “The most important thing was that no-one came to any harm. The crews dealt with the fire very quickly, and staff did a good job looking after the residents.
“This highlights how important it is to keep heaters away from fabrics and other combustible items.
“If you have a portable heater, it should be at least a metre away from anything that can catch fire. Make sure there’s nothing near it that could fall on to it.”
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Updated: Police seek key witness after motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Long Crendon
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Cox: BBC should do more to educate
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Plans for homes and park and ride at Weedon Hill rejected by district council
- White hot Ellen fires Gunners in FA Cup thumping
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 26 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 3 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North