One of the UK’s first barbers to be set up by a woman that now has locations around the country is celebrating 30 years in business.
In the early 1980s there were hardly any women working at barbers, but unisex salons were taking off and more men wanted stylish cuts.
Having learned the skills of barbering and face shaving in Oxford, Karen Waldon spotted an opportunity and put her savings into the first Barber Shop Group store in Wendover.
Ms Waldon wanted a ‘masculine and traditional’ but ‘luxurious’ environment, with women cutting men’s hair at low prices to high quality.
She said: “I had to train everyone as no hairdresser could use clippers.
“‘That’s not a barbers’, I heard one man say in the local newsagents, ‘It’s got women in it, they can’t cut men’s hair’.”
Despite this opposition, it is now one of the UK’s most successful and largest groups, with 16 shops and its own hair care products. Ms Waldon even brought her parrot Sam into the store to liven things up and each shop now has a resident parrot.
To mark the milestone, the team have been offering a year’s free haircuts to three customers through a raffle, which has raised £4,050 to be split between Prostate Cancer UK and the NSPCC.
But even after 30 years, Ms Waldon is not thinking about retirement.
She said: “To retire would mean I was working and this is my passion and never felt like work.”
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Updated: Police seek key witness after motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Long Crendon
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Cox: BBC should do more to educate
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Dixon to guest present ITV slot
- Plans for homes and park and ride at Weedon Hill rejected by district council
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: West