Fire crews have been mistakenly called to reports of gas leaks in the Vale because of a smell which wafted over the English Channel from France.
Across much of Southern England a smell, described as ‘like rotting eggs’, was noticed which originated from a chemical leak at a factory in Rouen.
On Tuesday Bucks fire crews were wrongly called to reports of a gas leak at a house in Bedgrove’s Camborne Avenue at 12.47pm and Wendover’s Oakwood Close at 1.22pm.
A Health Protection Agency spokesman said: “It is caused by a particularly smelly chemical that is added to odourless natural gas to give that its characteristic smell.
“It is not toxic and has also been diluted before entering the air over England, so people should be reassured it will cause no harm.
“It is an unpleasant odour which may cause some people to feel slightly nauseous but it will dispel naturally.”
The smell was greeted with amusement on social networking site Twitter.
A Vale-based user, Cliff Hide, posted: “French gas cloud seems to have reached Buckinghamshire or maybe Aylesbury just smells.”
And @Jillth666 jokingly tweeted: “Anyone in Aylesbury Bedgrove and Stoke Grange/Elm Farm area smell gas?! Been like it all day AND I have a blocked nose!”
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Updated: Police seek key witness after motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Long Crendon
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Cox: BBC should do more to educate
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Dixon to guest present ITV slot
- Plans for homes and park and ride at Weedon Hill rejected by district council
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: West