A man had to be rescued from the first floor window of his flat after being trapped by a fire.
The blaze, which is being treated as ‘arson with intent to endanger life’ started just before 4.30am on Sunday in Gainsborough Road, Aylesbury.
The victim, a 34-year-old man, was sleeping in his flat when he woke to the sound of his smoke alarm.
Bucks fire and rescue attended the scene and helped the man to safety from a window using a ladder.
The victim was taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital where he received treatment for smoke inhalation. He has since been discharged.
Watch manager Steve Cook said: “When we arrived, the man was calling from a window on the upper floor.
“Thick smoke was blocking his only means of escape and the front door was on fire.”
Firefighters also rescued a cat from inside the flat.
The flat was damaged by smoke and fire and neighbouring properties also suffered smoke damage.
Investigating officer Det Con Shay Harper, from Aylesbury Local CID, said: “This fire was started deliberately so an investigation has been launched and the incident is being treated as arson with intent to endanger life.
“I am appealing for witnesses and would like to speak to anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity in the Gainsborough Road area around the time of this incident.
“If you have any information about the incident please call our 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 101.”
If you don’t want to speak directly to the police you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.