DCSIMG

Baby sick after being given contaminated feed at Stoke Mandeville Hospital

The entrance to Stoke Mandeville Hospital

The entrance to Stoke Mandeville Hospital

A baby is still receiving treatment almost a week after being given contaminated feed at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

Hospital chiefs are now carrying out extra infection control measures after the infant, who has shown symptoms of illness as a result, was provided with the contaminated food.

Nationally 21 infants have been struck down with illness in ten hospitals as a result, one nine-day-old baby has died.

A spokesman for Bucks Healthcare said: “We were alerted by the Medicines Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on Wednesday, June 4 that one batch (dose) of the parenteral nutrition potentially contaminated by a bacterium had been provided to Stoke Mandeville hospital.

“We acted promptly to investigate and have identified that this potentially contaminated feed was given to a baby who has shown symptoms of illness related to the bacterium but is responding well to antibiotics and is stable.

“To ensure that we continue to provide high standards of care, and to further reassure the parents of babies currently on the ward, we are taking additional precautions and enhanced infection control measures have been put in place.”

The contaminated feed was a nutritional supplement given to patients who are too ill to be given food orally, which was issued to a number of neonatal units across the country.

“We are confident that there are no further contaminated batches of the feed across the trust and we can confirm that no other babies on the unit were given an affected batch.

“We continue to work closely with Public Health England and MHRA to follow their advice and guidance and we are supporting the parents involved and keeping them fully informed.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page