Halloween fire safety tips to prevent ‘terrifying experience’

editorial image
0
Have your say

Firefighters are warning people not to let Halloween become a ‘terrifying experience for all the wrong reasons’.

Every year children and adults are injured in accidents where candles or fireworks set fire to costumes or hair.

Chris Bailey, head of Bucks fire and rescue service’s community safety team, said: “We don’t want to stop people enjoying Halloween, but we do want them to celebrate safely.

“There is nothing more terrifying than having a fire at home or seeing your clothes catch fire.

“Please also follow the advice from our police and council colleagues and don’t frighten and annoy residents by being anti-social.”

The fire service has offered the following advice for October 31 to help reduce fire risks:

Lanterns

•Think carefully about the fire risks, particularly the possibility of the candle falling over, if making homemade lanterns.

•Never allow small children to carry a lantern that is lit by a naked flame. The handle could get hot and the child could slip while carrying it.

•Lanterns should never be made from plastic bottles or other containers.

Costumes

•Ensure that Halloween costumes and masks are labelled as flame resistant.

•Don’t use flammable materials to make home-made costumes.

•Keep children away from naked flames at all times.

Lighting

•If you are using decorative lights in your home, ensure that the electric sockets are not overloaded.

•Decorative lights should be switched off at the mains last thing at night, or if the bulbs need changing.

Candles

•Ensure that the candles are securely placed in a correct holder away from drafts, and placed where they are not likely to be knocked over.

•Never let children play near candles.

•Ensure that the candles are extinguished completely at night.