This is Buckingham Street in 1956 and at first glance it looks much the same as it does today.
The only major difference is over on the left. Two buildings stand alone which were part of Chamberlin’s motor engineers.
Its works ran right back to the rear of the original Odeon and in 1980 the site was cleared to make way for Sainsbury’s supermarket. Little has changed with the other buildings in this photograph.
The Harrow retains its original name, although it’s had a couple of changes between then and now. It was an Aylesbury Brewery Company pub in those days and many of their pubs had decorative slate plaques fixed to the wall by the entrance. In big gold letters was A.B.C. ALES with an enamel picture of an Aylesbury duck in the middle.
They were a real work of art and are a rare find these days.