In this week’s Back in Time we take to the skies to look at a part of Aylesbury as it was in 1927.
Starting at the top left of the photograph we can see the entrance to Royal Bucks Hospital with the very top of Buckingham Road to its right.
New Street can be seen stretching from left to right at the top.
Note all the buildings on the south side of the street that have all gone now.
Buckingham Street is clearly seen going diagonally across and there are a number of curious buildings fronting it.
One in particular is a large property which is set further back from the street than the neighbouring ones.
This was called Putnam House and was then home to Temple School.
At its rear is a large piece of ground with a building at the back that was a classroom. Fairfax House now stands on the site.
Further along Buckingham Street are a jumble of buildings opposite Granville Street. This was a monumental masons yard which had a large L-shaped barn at the back that was probably an old farm building centuries ago.
The site was cleared in the 1960s to become Coopers Yard car park.